Sunday, June 14, 2015

Building a Celestial Family: Intro


We owe our families the kind of relationship we can take into the presence of God. . . . We can determine to forgive quickly and fully. We can try to seek the happiness of others above our own. We can be kind in our speech. As we try to do all these things, we will invite the Holy Ghost into our families and into our lives.
Henry B. Eyring, First Counselor in the First Presidency (source)


I read the First Presidency message for June, which I don't usually do, because the title stood out to me: "Families Can Be Together Forever." The article talked about how we can make our family relationships celestial while here on earth. That stood out to me, because my family is not like that. We don't really get along, there are disputes about beliefs, and our home is not a place the Spirit can dwell because there's constant bickering and not much remembering the Savior. That's something I'm trying to change over the summer. So this article caught my attention. I love the above quoted paragraph particularly. I wrote it on a card and tapes it where I'd always see it, to remind to do the things President Eyring counsels: 1) forgive quickly and fully, 2) seek the happiness of others, 3) be kind in our speech. President Eyring states that as we do our best to do these things, the Holy Ghost will be present in our families and lives. That's something I really want! So I want to examine each of these points a little further. 

I started writing this as one post, but it was incredibly long, so I'll post it as a series. Check back soon for Part 1, on forgiving.


The whole series has been posted! Click for Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4

No comments:

Post a Comment