Friday, November 20, 2015

God is Mindful and Merciful. We Should Be, Too.

A number of ideas have been on my mind and on my heart lately. My heart is broken for the brokenness of our world. Instead of offering advice, instead of offering my words, I will offer the words of God.


For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me" (Matthew 25:35-40, emphasis added).

"Blessed be the name of my God, who has been mindful of us, wanderers in a strange land. Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth" (Alma 26: 36-37, emphasis added). 

"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction" (James 1:27).

"The Lord God giveth light unto the understanding; for he speaketh unto men according to their language, unto their understanding" (2 Nephi 31:3, emphasis added). 

"Thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little" (2 Nephi 28:30, emphasis added). 

"We do not condemn others for the amount of light they may or may not have; rather, we nourish and encourage all light until it grows clear, bright, and true" (Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "Receiving a Testimony of Light and Truth," October 2014).

No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of thepriesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned; By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile— That he may know that thy faithfulness is stronger than the cords of death. Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men" (D&C 121:41-45, emphasis added).
. . .

"He commanded that their little children should be brought. 
So they brought their little children and set them down upon the ground round about him, 
and Jesus stood in the midst; and the multitude gave way till they had all been brought unto him. . . .
He took their little children, one by one, and blessed them
and prayed unto the Father for them. 
And when he had done this he wept again; 
And he spake unto the multitude, and said unto them: 
Behold your little ones
(3 Nephi 17:11-12, 21-23).

No comments:

Post a Comment