Thursday, March 19, 2015

Contemporary Master Class!

My university is hosting a Guest Artist (choreographer) today and tomorrow. As a dance major, I am required to attend guest artists. And today, I am so thankful for that requirement!

I was feeling sick when I went to my tap class at 2:00, not looking forward to dancing. I felt like I was going to vomit. When 4:00 rolled around and it was time for our contemporary master class, I still wasn't feeling too great. But I went. It's been months since I did contemporary dance (actually, almost a year, I didn't realize it had been that long!). The teacher started warming us up, and I was feeling good. He was upbeat and very energized. But then he got really hard! He had us standing with our legs making a triangle, our body facing one leg and stretching forward. He had us pick our leg up to penché, which was fine and typical. But THEN, he had us do elevés while we were stretching our penchés, and then faster elevés, and then relevés. It was KILLER. My Achilles tendon hurt so bad! (I have weak ankles) So basically, the during the second half of our warm up, I thought I was dying.

Once we were good and sweaty and stretched out, he started with the choreography. It was really hard in the beginning, but I did my best to pick it up. The song was "Take Me to Church." Contemporary is always filled with emotion, I think more than ballet or tap. Maybe it's just different kinds of emotion. Tap is usually happy, and ballet is usually happy or sad, simple emotions. Contemporary is like, dig deep into your soul and feel those icky weird feelings and long for things and reach for the things that just out of your grasp. And show it on your face and in your body. This was definitely a dance made to be filled with emotion and expression. Some of the choreography was really hard, but I mostly got the hang of it. 

We learned maybe a minute or so of choreography in less than an hour (really fast). He had us working so hard, that the mirrors in our dance studio were covered with sweat (think like when you get out of a hot shower) - gross! But we were working hard. 

I am so thankful that my university brings in these artists, and requires dance majors to attend! I wasn't planning on going to this class, but I am so glad that I did. I was reminded of why I love dance so much and I learned more about being an artist. I feel so blessed to have this experience, and to have been well enough mentally to experience it. 

If you ever have the opportunity to attend a master class, whether your a dancer or not, go! They are always worth it. 

Peace and blessings, friends <3

No comments:

Post a Comment